Second Harvest Fresh Produce
This project, in partnership with Second Harvest Foodbank, offers League members an opportunity to participate in the stuffing of fresh produce bags for food insecure families in the New Orleans community.
JLNO financial support for this program covers the transportation of fresh produce to Second Harvest for bagging into family friendly bags for distribution by volunteers.
Volunteers engaged in the fight against hunger can anticipate working in several capacities when they come to the Second Harvest Food Bank located at 700 Edwards Avenue in Elmwood.
During each shift Junior League volunteers will assist with one of the following activities:
- work in the warehouse repack room to sort;
- pack and process food donations on a conveyor belt;
- work on an outdoor loading dock to sort salvage groceries ensuring that product is fit for use and consumption;
- work in the warehouse to assemble backpacks; or
- work in a cooler workspace set at 55 degrees to sort and assemble fresh bags of produce.