The Abolish Movement was founded in 2014 by the Junior League of Tampa (JLT) to unite Tampa organizations and agencies in drawing attention to the problem of child sex slavery in the Tampa Bay area. In 2017, The Association of Junior Leagues International (AJLI) adopted ABOLISH as an association-wide initiative to scale the movement and unite communities across the United States and beyond in an effort to generate greater awareness of the intractable, systemic issue of child sex slavery.
Facts of Human Trafficking:
- 40.3 million victims of human trafficking globally (International Labour Organization).
- In 2016: Estimated 1 out of 6 endangered runaways were likely child sex trafficking victims. Of those, 86% were in the care of social services or foster care when they ran (National Center for Missing and Exploited Children).
- No official estimate of the total number of trafficking victims in the U.S. Estimated to reach into the hundreds of thousands (Polaris Project).
JLNO is committed to raising awareness, providing support, and putting an end to this heinous crime. To learn more about the issue and how you can help, visit the ABOLISH homepage and join us at our awareness events next month.
If you are a victim or want to report an incident, call the Human Trafficking Hotline toll free at 1-888-373-7888. Help is available 24/7.
Resources in Louisiana:
- Eden House, https://edenhousenola.org/4
- Loyola Modern Slavery Research Project, http://www.modernslaveryresearch.org
- New Orleans Covenant House, http://www.covenanthouseno.org
- Metanoia Home Baton Rouge (for minors), http://metanoia-inc.org/
- Learn more about how our government is working to support victims: http://gov.louisiana.gov/assets/Programs/ChildrensCabinet/HTPC-2018-Exec-Summary-Annual-Report.pdf