Imagine having to choose between diapering and feeding your child. Imagine not being able to go to work or school because you don’t have diapers to send with your child to daycare or an early education program. Imagine your child having to spend from dawn to dusk in the same diaper because you don’t have the money buy the six to ten diapers she needs in a day.
What you are imagining is the reality for one in three mothers in the U.S. who struggles to provide her baby with clean, dry diapers. Those experiencing this “diaper need” have difficulty with stress management and depression, which in turn negatively affects their children’s health and development.
The Junior League of New Orleans has founded its Diaper Bank to help families from the bottom up. Leveraging the strength of our entire membership, we will raise our community’s awareness of the “diaper need,” host diaper drives, buy diapers at a highly discounted rate, provide volunteer support for sorting, packing, and distributing diapers, and storing diapers. As part of our focus of Advancing the Wellbeing of Women, we hope to provide over 1 million diapers between June 1, 2019 and May 31, 2020 to women and families throughout Metropolitan New Orleans.
Going forward, the JLNO Diaper Bank is partnering with Second Harvest Food Bank to distribute diapers throughout the Greater New Orleans area. Please visit one of these distribution sites if you are in need of diapers or period products.
- Victory Fellowship, 5708 Airline Dr., Metairie, La. (504-733-5005) – every Thursday 6 – 8 pm & every Sunday 12 pm – 2 pm
- Lovetouch Ministries, 2025 Whitney Ave., Gretna (504-405-1223) – every Monday through Friday 10 am – 2 pm
- St. Jerome Pantry, 2402 33rd St., Kenner, La. (504-443-3174) Every Wednesday 1 pm -3:30 pm
- Hispanic Resource Center, 4312 Florida, Kenner, La. (open Monday through Friday – may need to call first (504-469-2570). This site distributes a lot of diapers.
- Broadmoor Pantry, 2021 S Dupre St., New Orleans, La. (504-701-4804) (Monday and Wed. 10 am – 3:30 pm)
- NET Charter High School, 6601 Franklin Ave., New Orleans, La. 70122 (504-267-9060)
- Hope the Food Pantry, 13040 I-10 Service Rd., New Orleans, La. (504-940-1654) (Tuesday through Friday 12 pm to 5 pm and Saturday 9 am – 1 pm)
- St. Peter Claver Pantry, 1923 St. Philip St., New Orleans, La (504-827-0707) (Tuesday and Thursday 10 am – 2 pm)
How You Can Help:
Donate Diapers. Drop-off disposable diapers of any size, including open packages, at JLNO Headquarters on Tuesdays from 9 am to 2 pm.
Host a Diaper Drive. Motivate your school, business, church, or social group to collect and purchase diapers.
Purchase from our Amazon Wish List. Visit Amazon and search for “Junior League of New Orleans Diaper Bank” to buy and ship directly to us.
Donate Dollars for Diapers. Make a financial contribution on our website or by mail to JLNO Headquarters.
Share Information. Use social media or other digital platforms to share facts about diaper need and raise our community’s awareness.
Volunteer. While our Diaper Bank is run by JLNO members, we often love meeting and having help from the public. Click here to complete a form to indicate your interest in volunteering to sort diapers at our facility in Elmwood.