Get to know JLNO: An Open House for Prospective Members
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Junior League of New Orleans, we invite you to attend one of our Open House events to learn more about our organization. This year’s Get to Know JLNO Open Houses will be held at JLNO Headquarters located at 4319 Carondelet Street on:
Tuesday, January 22 and 29, 2013 from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
The Junior League of New Orleans is very pleased that you have taken an interest in us. We are an organization of women committed to promoting volunteerism, developing the potential of women and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Our purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
- A candidate for membership must be between 25 and 45 years of age at the time of her admission on May 31, 2012.
- A candidate must have resided in the New Orleans area (within a 45-mile radius of JLNO Headquarters, 4319 Carondelet Street). Attendance at a New Orleans school by an out-of-town student does not constitute such residence.Please note that prospective members are no longer required to have lived in the area for a full year before joining JLNO.
- be able to fulfill the Provisional requirements, which are briefly outlined below
- posses an interest in voluntarism, a commitment to community service, and an interest in developing her potential as a volunteer.
- have access to an e-mail account in order to receive JLNO communication.
FORM A SPONSOR GROUP
A sponsor group must be composed of two members, one of whom must be an Active. Sponsor groups may consist of two Actives OR one Active and one Sustainer. Members may sponsor up to two (2) candidates per year for membership.
Please remember that members must be in good standing and have paid all financial obligations in order to sponsor a new member. (Non-resident members are not eligible to propose candidates.)
If you know a potential candidate for membership but need help in securing her sponsorship, please contact Holley Payne at Headquarters (891-5845 or email@example.com) and the Board of Directors will assist you in that process.
SPONSOR-CANDIDATE AGREEMENTComplete the Sponsor-Candidate_Agreement_2013-14_, which must be signed by each sponsor, as well as by the prospective member, and return it to Headquarters no later than Thursday, March 1, 2013.
NOTIFICATION OF PROSPECTIVE MEMBERSEach candidate will be contacted by letter confirming that she meets the eligibility requirements and is invited to join the Junior League of New Orleans. This mailing will also contain the Provisional Contract, Provisional Curriculum, and Dues Notice. The Provisional Contract must be completed, signed and returned, along with the candidate’s dues payment, to Headquarters by April 16, 2013 at 5:00 pm.
- Provisional Welcome Party
- JL 101 and JL 102 Informational Sessions
- Four (4) General Meetings
- Provisional Placement (eight (8) shifts at JLNO’s Bloomin’ Deals Thrift Shop and two (2) shifts at JLNO Headquarters)
- Community Shifts (two (2) shifts at JLNO Projects or other area non-profits)
- Fundraiser Shift (one (1) shift at a JLNO fundraiser or cookbook sales event)
- Teambuilding Provisional Project (plan, participate and staff a project with members of your Provisional class)
- Financial Requirements include annual dues and rummage donation to the Thrift Shop
- Participation in JLNO fundraising events