Over the years, thousands of residents have benefited from the work of Junior League volunteers, and helping others has immeasurably enriched the lives of those volunteers. But, an all-volunteer organization would not make such an impact had it not instituted business-oriented standards to select and maintain its projects and activities.
The Junior League of New Orleans defines many of its community services as projects. All must be compatible with and support JLNO’s mission, focus areas, values, and core competencies.
A project allows the utilization, training, and development of volunteers and addresses a community need within the focus area. The impact we hope to accomplish is as follows:
- People’s lives will change as a result of the program, and the project has an evaluation process that supports results.
- The underlying causes of the community need are addressed.
- We are able to assess the number of people experiencing the change versus the intensity of that change.
- Levels of change include knowledge, skills, attitudes, behavior, condition, and status.
Other requirements include a defined, viable plan for sustainability and an organizational infrastructure capable of supporting project operations.
From June 1, 2020 through May 31, 2021, our Community Projects include the following:
- Bloomin’ Deals Legacy Project – Providing clothing and accessories to the community in a mission-focused and impact-driven way
- Community Assistance Fund – Investing in nonprofits to extend community impact
- Covenant House Partnership – Giving meaningful experiences to at-risk youth, making them feel valued and hopeful
- Diaper Bank – Addressing diaper need for families and enabling them to end the cycle of poverty
- Financial Literacy for Women – Delivering a comprehensive curriculum empowering women to achieve and maintain economic freedom
- Period Supplies – Raising awareness and ending period poverty for women who struggle to purchase products they need on a monthly basis
- Scholarship – Awarding a non-traditional female student financial assistance to continue her education or change careers
- Volunteer Management – Providing area nonprofits with the wealth of intelligence, skill, and enthusiasm of our membership
- Woman Entrepreneur (WE) Fellowship – Promoting professional success and improving economic opportunities for women