The Junior League of New Orleans is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
Women Building a Greater New Orleans
- Rebuilding New Orleans
- Children's Wellbeing and Education
- Healthy Families
The Junior League of New Orleans
- An 87-year-old organization with over 2,200 trained women members
- The average age of Active members is 36 years and the average age of Sustaining members is 60 years.
- Of an Active and Provisional membership of approximately 650, 95% are college educated, and 82% work outside the home.
- JLNO is part of a network of 292 Junior Leagues comprising the Association of Junior Leagues International. JLNO is the 9th largest League.
- Membership is open to women of all races, religions, and national origins who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to voluntarism.
Currently, JLNO programming benefits multiple community projects serving the at-risk population of Metropolitan New Orleans through charter school outreach, nutritional programming, children's health services, and youth development. JLNO commits over $500,000 each year to its community programs and membership training.
Through a formalized training program and through their volunteer work, League members are trained for responsible community leadership and are empowered through the confidence gained in achieving League goals in a safe and supportive environment. Each year, these trained women commit more than 50,000 volunteer hours to improving our community.
For over eight decades, JLNO has maintained a steadfast commitment of service to the Greater New Orleans community.
- JLNO was instrumental in the creation of numerous New Orleans organizations including the Parenting Center at Children's Hospital, the Preservation Resource Center, the Louisiana Nature and Science Center, and most recently, New Orleans Teen Court.
- JLNO has been involved in over 100 different community projects, contributed more that 4 million dollars to our community and donated over 1.5 million hours of volunteer time.