The Junior League of New Orleans is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
Women Building a Greater New Orleans
Advancing the Wellbeing of Women
Through training sessions and volunteer work, JLNO provides its members with the knowledge and skills for responsible community leadership. They gain confidence by fulfilling the organization’s mission and achieving goals in a safe and supportive environment. Over nine decades, thousands of Metropolitan New Orleans residents have benefited from the work of Junior League volunteers, and helping others has immeasurably enriched those volunteers’ lives.
- Founded in 1924
- Has 2,300 current members, who range in age from 25 to 102
- Within the Active and Provisional Membership,
- 99% are college educated
- 89% work outside of the home
- 82% volunteer outside of JLNO
- Offers 100 placement opportunities for members to work in leadership on a committee
- Provides 40 training sessions and lectures each year for its members to develop personally or professionally
- Delivers $785,000 in annual funding to community projects and partners
- Donates over 50,000 volunteer hours each year
- Serves 1,800 members of the community each year
- Partners with 260 businesses
- Part of a network of 293 Junior Leagues comprising the Association of Junior Leagues International (AJLI)
- Is the 12th largest League in the world
For over nine decades, JLNO has maintained a steadfast commitment to serving Metropolitan New Orleans. Some of JLNO's best-known projects, many of which have grown into independent entities, include
- The Parenting Center at Children's Hospital
- Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans
- Parkway Partners
- The Louisiana Nature and Science Center
We have also created or supported programs at Audubon Zoo, New Orleans Museum of Art, Louisiana Children's Museum, Charity Hospital, Children's Art Council, and Kingsley House. JLNO has been involved in over 100 community programs, investing millions of dollars and millions of volunteer hours. For what we are working on today, please see our Community Impact page.
Career Opportunities with JLNO
Members are welcome to apply. Please note, per our Bylaws, a member would need to resign should she be offered the position and wish to accept it.