The Junior League of New Orleans believes that every woman in Metropolitan New Orleans should have the opportunity to live a healthy, happy, and successful life. We are committed to Advancing the Wellbeing of Women through the use of trained volunteers that provide direct service, educate the community, and advocate for issues that affect women.
The Community Assistance Fund provides JLNO with a flexible means to grant money to nonprofit agencies that can effectively demonstrate that they have a dire need for funding and seek to advance the wellbeing of women.
The Community Assistance Fund Committee thoroughly examines requests for funding before submitting them to JLNO’s Community Council and Board of Directors for final approval.
JLNO awards Community Assistance Fund grants once a year in the following areas:
- Economic Opportunity – Supporting women’s potential to seize economic opportunities
- Physical and Mental Health – Improving women’s health, allowing them to live healthy and happy lives
- Family Assistance – Providing needed family support to alleviate the burdens on women caregivers
Community Assistance Fund grant requests may be made for up to $20,000.
2020-2021 Grant Awardees
JLNO has awarded grants for the 2020-2021 League year to the following organizations. The 2021-2022 grant cycle will reopen in the Fall of 2021.
- YMCA of Greater New Orleans H2Geaux Safety Around Water Program — $7,000
- SilenceIsViolence — $4,000
- Catholic Charities Archdiocese New Orleans Bridges — $4,000
Application Process for a Community Assistance Fund Grant
Applications are now OPEN for the 2021-2022 cycle. Please click HERE to apply.
Step 1: Determine if your organization matches with the grant’s focus area.
Advancing the Wellbeing of Women through Economic Opportunity, Physical/Mental Health, or Family Assistance
Step 2: Submit Proposal Online.
A representative from your organization will need to submit an application for funding online to JLNO by the stated deadline.
- Please complete all fields on the form.
- You cannot save data typed into this form.
- Please print your completed form if you would like a copy for your records.
Please upload the following items:
- Line Item Budget
- IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter
- Recent Financial Statement
- Current Operating Budget
- Annual Audit Report
- Any other Additional Documents
- Applicants must be nonprofit, tax exempt agencies (501(c)(3)’s).
- Organizations cannot be considered if they have received funding in the past 12 months.
- Funds must be used within the Greater New Orleans Metropolitan area.
- The request must be submitted to the Community Assistance Fund Committee and then be recommended by the committee to the Planning & Development Council. The Board of Directors of JLNO must vote to fund each request.
- All grants are subject to contractual agreement with a six month follow up required of organizations who receive Community Assistance Fund awards.
- Requests for Community Assistance Fund grants must be for a specific and stated purpose.
- Grant assistance through this fund must benefit more than just a single individual. The broader the reach that the funding will serve, the better the case for funding.
The Junior League of New Orleans will consider funding:
- Program effectiveness is an important consideration in the awarding of Community Assistance Fund grants.
- The Junior League is following our mission and funding programs that promote the Advancing the Wellbeing of Women as our focus area.
The Junior League of New Orleans will NOT fund:
- Out-of-state organizations (unless the request is to serve and benefit persons in the Metropolitan New Orleans)
- Sponsorship of special events
- Religious instruction or teachings
- Political activities
- Travel expenses
- Fundraising donations
- Marketing expenses
- Overhead, including but not limited to salaries, utilities, rent, and taxes
- Contributions to capital fundraising drives
- An agency which has a project currently being funded by the Junior League of New Orleans
Requests for general operating revenues will not be considered unless unusual circumstances exist and a case is made for why these funds are identified as critical or dire needs.
NOTE: Acceptance of a Community Assistance Fund grant will change the status of an organization under consideration for a proposed Community Project partnership. While organizations may apply for both the CAF and a Community Project partnership in the same year, organizations may not be selected for both.
Helpful Hints to Consider for a Full Application for the Community Assistance Fund
- Define the specific needs of the people you will serve. Don’t be too generic. General statistics about national or state problems are not as relevant as citing the need of our community.
- Be specific about your planned outcomes. For example, “we will improve the self-esteem of teenage girls” is not as clear and compelling as “we will offer a six-part training program for fifty 12-16 year old girls which will include sessions on hygiene, career options, study skills and money management.”
- Clearly outline and identify a specific line-item budget on how JLNO funds will be used for this project. For example, how many tote bags would you be able to purchase with JLNO funds?
- Please provide a project budget and revenue plan, as well as your organization’s overall budget.
- Keep the reader’s attention on the ultimate outcome or impact that your project will have on the clients that the project will serve. For example, will your clients finish high school? Avoid teenage pregnancy? Stay away from drugs?
- Share how you plan to evaluate the impact that you will have.
- Let a colleague, friend or relative read your proposal for clarity before you submit it for consideration. Do readers understand your request? Would they support it themselves?
- Requests for general operating salaries are discouraged.
- Requests for employee training and development are discouraged.
Additional information about JLNO’s Community Assistance Fund may be obtained by contacting Community Assistance Fund at firstname.lastname@example.org or JLNO Headquarters at (504) 891-5845.