One in four women have struggled to purchase period products in the past year due to lack of income. As a natural extension of our Diaper Bank, the Junior League of New Orleans has joined the Alliance for Period Supplies to help get period products to individuals in need.
In addition to providing period products through our distribution partners, this program endeavors to raise awareness about “period poverty” and educate people on the barriers faced by women and girls unable to afford feminine products. Just like women can’t go to work or attend school if babies can’t be in diapers at daycare, women can’t work if they don’t have the supplies they need on a monthly basis.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
Donate Period Supplies. Drop-off period supplies at JLNO Diaper Bank Warehouse 1109 North Al Davis Road, Unit A New Orleans, LA 70123, or any of our Diaper Bank collection locations.
Make a Financial Contribution. Make a financial contribution on our website or by mail to JLNO Headquarters.
Purchase from our Amazon Wish List. Visit Amazon and search for “Junior League of New Orleans Period Products” to buy and ship directly to us.
Host a Period Supply Drive. Motivate your school, business, church, or social group to collect and purchase period supplies.
Share Information. Use social media or other digital platforms to share facts about period poverty and raise our community’s awareness.
Become a Distribution Partner. Work directly with JLNO to distribute period supplies to the community.
Facts About Period Poverty
- 1 in 4 women struggled to purchase period products within the past year due to lack of income.
- 1 in 5 low-income women report missing work, school or similar events due to lack of access to period supplies.
- Lack of access to period supplies is linked to using substitute products (toilet tissue or socks), stretching product usage, and missing important events.
- An overwhelming 88% of women agree that period products are a basic necessity.
- Only 4% of women are aware of a local resource where free or reduced cost period supplies are available.
- State and federal safety-net programs cannot be used to purchase period supplies.
Source: 2018 U by Kotex survey conducted with YouGov
Host a Period Supply Drive and #AddPads
JLNO accepts donations of period supplies any of its period supplies drop-off locations. in accordance with these guidelines:
- New, unopened boxes of tampons or pads
- For opened boxes, supplies should still be in their original wrapping
A period supply drive is a great community service project for your school, business, civic group, neighborhood or faith-based organization. Every package of period products that you collect and every dollar you raise will impact individuals who struggle to access the supplies they need.
Click here to get started on your period supplies drive!
Questions? Email email@example.com